Route : Delhi Varanasi Khajuraho Orchha Gwalior Agra Jaipur Delhi
13 Days / 12 Nights
Arrive Delhi, the capital city of India
Arrive in India, for your Classic North India Tour
- Arrive Delhi
- Welcome at airport
- Transfer to hotel
Day in Delhi
Discover the first city of your Classic North India Tour, pacing through Delhi, the city which is as historic as modern, like 2 sides of the same coin!
AM: Sightseeing tour of Old Delhi, includes a visit to
- Jama Masjid, the largest mosque in India
- Chandini Chowk, ‘silver street’, one of the largest trading centres of India
- Drive past Red Fort, the place that marked the announcement of India’s freedom from the British Raj
- Raj Ghat, cremation site of Mahatma Gandhi
PM: Sightseeing tour of New Delhi, includes a visit to
- Qutab Minar, a fine example of Indo-Islamic architecture and the worlds tallest minaret
- Gurudwara Bangla Sahib, the largest Sikh temple of Delhi, with a gold tomb, still in active worship
- Photo stop at India Gate, the war memorial arch built in honour of the soldiers who died in the second world war
- Drive past President's House, Parliament House and other Government Secretariat Buildings, the most imposing features of Lutyen’s Delhi
Fly to Varanasi, the oldest living city in the world
Proceed to the spiritual hub of your Classic North India Tour, visiting Varanasi, the oldest living city of the world
- Catch your flight to Varanasi, the spiritual capital of India (also known as Kashi and Benaras).
- Arrive Varanasi, check in at your hotel and freshen up
- This evening, enjoy a rickshaw ride to the ghats to see the grand ‘Aarti’ ceremony conducted everyday at sunset by white-robed priests. The young priests sway in seemingly choreographed movements, worshiping the river goddess with incense, flowers and earthen lamps.
Day in Varanasi
Witness the power of faith in your Classic North India Tour, by discovering the spiritual charm of Varanasi
- Enjoy a boat cruise at dawn on the Holy River Ganges. See the ‘bathing ghats’ where thousands of pilgrims pay homage to the Sun God by immersing themselves in the holy water of River Ganges, and the ‘burning ghats’ where cremations are conducted.
- Visit Sarnath, the place where Lord Buddha gave his first sermon. Sarnath was a renowned school of learning from 6th century BC to 12th century AD. The Ashoka pillar of Sarnath is the national emblem of India. Visit the ruins, stupa, Buddhist temple and the Sarnath Museum
- At leisure in Varanasi
Fly to Khajuraho, the birthplace of Kamasutra
Amaze your senses on your Classic North India Tour, with a visit to the exotic temples of Khajuraho
- Late morning catch your flight to Khajuraho
- Arrive Khajuraho, check in at your hotel and freshen up
- Visit the enchanting temples of Khajuraho, with sculptures that draw their inspiration from the ancient art of Kama sutra. Khajuraho Temples were built by the Chandela kings between 950 AD and 1050 AD.
Drive to Orchha, the medieval town peppered with shrines and temples
See the Indian heritage on your Classic North India Tour, visiting the the medieval city of Orchha
- Drive to Orchha, a medieval riverside town known for its shrines and temples.
- Enjoy a short tour of Orchha, seeing the temples, fascinating little shrines and memorials.
Drive to Gwalior, home to one of the most invincible forts of India
Cherish the splendour of your Classic North India Tour, visiting the princely city of Gwalior, a historic city dominated by the mighty Gwalior fort.
- Drive to Gwalior, the city of warrior kings, poets, musicians and saints. A historic city, Gwalior is known for its magnificent fort which houses a number of ruined palaces and interesting temples.
- Arrive Gwalior, check-in at hotel.
- Rest of the day at leisure
Day in Gwalior
On this day of your Classic North India Tour, discover Gwalior, the erstwhile capital of the Scindias
AM: Enjoy a sightseeing tour of Gwalior, which includes a visit to
- The Jai Vilas Palace
- The Tomb of Mohammad Ghaus
- The tomb of Tansen, the famous musician of Mughal emperor Akbar’s court and
- The Gwalior fort, a predominantly Hindu fort built by the Rajput ruler Raja Tomar Singh, also houses many Hindu and Jain temples and a Gurudwara.
- Enjoy sound and light show at the Gwalior fort.
Drive to Agra, land of the Taj Mahal
Encounter the historic marvel of your Classic North India Tour, discovering the Mughal city of Agra, home to the beautiful wonder of the world, the Taj Mahal
- Drive to Agra.
- Optional: watch a fantastic show “Mohabbat the Taj – The saga of love”, staging the largest replica of the Taj Mahal, and presenting the Taj in its various shades and seasons.
Day in Agra
Enjoy the epitome of your Classic North India Tour, with a sunrise visit to the Taj Mahal
- Rise early to experience the awe-inspiring beauty of the eternal symbol of love, the Taj Mahal. Often referred to as a poem in white marble, Taj Mahal displays the saga of love between Emperor Shah Jahan and Mumtaz Mahal.
- Visit Agra fort, which is built in red sandstone and has magnificent palaces, halls of public and private audience and beautiful gardens
- Visit marble inlay workshops – watch artisans creating magical beauty with marble and indulge in exquisite shopping in this historic city of Agra
Drive to Jaipur, the pink capital city of Rajasthan
Experience the warmth and richness of heritage of your Classic North India Tour, with a visit to the vibrant city Jaipur
- Drive to Jaipur.
- Stop en route to visit Fatehpur Sikri, the crowning glory of Emperor Akbar's architectural legacy. Built in red sandstone, its numerous palaces, halls, and structures exemplify the creativity of erstwhile Mughal emperors
- Enjoy a heritage walk in the old city of Jaipur, seeing life along the small alleys and by-lanes. Interact with the local artisans enamelling jewels with local ‘meenakari’ work, along with goldsmiths and silversmiths of the region
- Visit gems, jewels and carpet weaving factories – watch artisans creating unique masterpieces and enjoy haggling for souvenirs in colourful bazaars of Jaipur
Day in Jaipur
Cherish the splendour of your Classic North India Tour, with a tour of this princely city of Jaipur, which is built in 9 rectangular sectors symbolising 9 divisions of the universe, as per Indian cosmology
- Visit the splendid Amber fort, which was built in the 16th century. An elephant ride (subject to availability) will help you ascend to this hilltop fort. Alternatively, you could choose to walk or drive up to the fort.
- Photo stop at Hawa Mahal, the palace of winds. This palace consists of long corridors and a decorated facade with its innumerable windows and screened balconies, especially built for the royal women to view processions along the cities main street.
- Visit the City Palace complex, reflecting the architectural exuberance of Jaipur. The complex consists of a variety of museums and a part of the palace is still the royal residence of the Maharaja of Jaipur
- Visit Jantar Mantar, the ancient astronomical observatory
Drive to Delhi Airport DEPARTURE
Bid goodbye to India, as you reach the finale of your Classic North India Tour
- At leisure in Jaipur
- Drive to Delhi International Airport, to catch your flight back home